11.09.2006

See How They Run

Well, I have solved the problem of the laundry. I finally called up the Splash Washerette and although the guy I talked to spoke very little English, I was able to communicate with him. He let me know I could drop my laundry off, have it washed, dried and folded for 7.50 euros per 5 kilos (about 10 pounds). Josh was my navigator on this trip, and having been there before; we found it with no problem. Finding a parking space was a different story. The parking “alley” right next to the washerette was full except for two VERY small parallel parking spaces. The next lot over was blocked off by a delivery truck that had no intention of moving anytime soon. We navigated our way back over two canals and down a few one way streets back to the first parking “alley.” Of course by the time we got back around both of those parallel parking spaces were gone. When I saw that the delivery truck was still blocking the lot, it was time for desperate measures. We ended up parallel parking in the back alley of the block. Easy right? These spaces were in a very narrow (no more than 15 feet wide) alley with row houses on one side and a canal with a steep 10-foot straight down drop on the other. Josh opened his door so I could see better and we managed to parallel park a mere six inches for the edge of the canal. Sam was freaking out the whole time sure we were going to fall in the water rental car, Cinnamon (her stuffed animal) and all. Once in the parking spot, I was not sure what the parking situation was…legal or not, coupon needed or not (of course I had no coupons)? We decided to sprint to the Washerette and risk it. I, of course, was not wearing shoes appropriate for a sprint down a cobblestone alley. We dropped off our laundry to a very helpful and trying-his-best-with-his-English attendant who let us know it will be done around 6:00 PM. Then we sprinted back to the car to find it ticket free. The drove home was incident free, except almost hitting a blind man in the cross walk (which Josh could not stop laughing about…I think it was a nervous laugh). I made it through this whole ordeal without one curse word passing my lips (no comment on whether they crossed my mind).

We drove over to Wassenaar to get my cell phone voice mail changed into English and I bought more minutes for my phone. (I must have a pay as you go phone until we find a house and I am able to register with the town alien police.) Then I took the kids to Bagel Alley. It was tasty, with homemade bagels, homemade baked goods and US made soda.

I went out again the look at houses with the realtor. She showed me one stand alone house near the school and Central Wassenaar and then four other houses that are in South Wassenaar. South Wassenaar is about an eight minute drive from the school (about the equivalent of driving from our house on Carols Way Drive to Del Pueblo). Helmut is not really interested in living that far away and none of the houses were really worth the location. I have narrowed it down to three houses…starting with the least expensive…(if this is too boring to read, just skip over it…it is really a list of each houses pros and cons for my own decision making sake)…click on the address for pictures on the Dutch realtor website

Deijlerweg 102 #S
This one is only a five minute bike ride from the school. It is the middle house in what is essentially a three house wide town home (I prefer not to use the term duplex). It has recently been completely redone with a new kitchen and hard wood floors on all the stories. It has a large living/dining area and space enough in the kitchen for a table and chairs. It has two large rooms on the second floor and two medium size rooms on the third floor. It has a pretty back “garden” (or in US English a back yard) and a garage and bike shed. The front and back porches have just been redone in a pretty natural stone with lots of potted plants. The only con I can see with this one is that it is stuck between two other houses. It doesn’t seem to make a big impact on the light and bright feeling on the inside of the house. Each room has a big window or two in it. At 4100 euros per month it is a great price.

Windlustweg 18 #S
This semi detached house (on the left of a two house town home) sits just one block away from the charming city center. You can actually see the town windmill from the front sidewalk. It sits right across the street from a fruit and vegetable stand and a bakery. The house has been completely redone with an amazing kitchen and roomy living area. It is also close to the school (about a ten minute bike ride). It has a largish master bedroom, one medium sized room and three small bedrooms. The finishing on the house is top notch and it is super charming. It is listed at 5500 euros per month, but they are willing to come down.

Prinses Marielaan 32 #S
This is a stand alone house on a very picturesque tree lined street (about a 10 minute bike ride from the school). The owner has it decorated to the nines. It has a great living area with a small study off to the side. The kitchen is fantastic with French doors into the dining room. It has a large master bedroom and three small bedrooms on the second and third floor. It is more expensive at 6200 euros a month and has only been on the market for three weeks, so I am not sure if they will be willing to come down on the price.

If you would like to weigh in on the choice, just leave a comment. Helmut and I are going to look at three places on Saturday morning and will make a final decision then. Wish us luck.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would say that if money is no object pick the third it is beautiful, kind of like a dream home that you would want to live in if you were living in Europe.(Which you are). But the second one sounds really nice and the kitchen floor is beautiful. I love you and miss you guys. Love Mandy

1:44 PM  
Blogger tango-baby said...

Hi guys! My favorite is the last one too but they are all great so I guess thats a tough call...
I like that the second one has a fruit stand and bakery across the street. It adds to the fun European lifestyle. Good luck! Miss you guys!

7:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definetly the third house--it is what dreams are made of!
Judy & Carl

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home