11.08.2006

First Day of School 2006 - Take Two

We were up bright and early this morning for the boys’ first day of school. We had to get there 30 minutes early so they could get their schedule and get a locker assignment. The middle school follows a block schedule which seems to be a little confusing. Plus today was a short day. After talking to the Relief Society President yesterday, I figured out every Wednesday is a short day that ends at 2:45 (good thing she told me or I would have showed up 45 minutes late to pick them up). Each boy was met by an “ambassador” who was assigned to stick with them all day and help them get from class to class and to answer any questions they might have. Josh’s ambassador was Ellis, a boy from Korea, who Josh deemed a nerd that didn’t help at all. Evidently he showed Josh his own locker (which was of no use to Josh) and didn’t do anything for the rest of the day. In Josh’s defense, the boy didn’t seem that into it when I left them at the office. Helmut’s ambassador was Andy from Rome, Italy. Helmut reported he was nice and helpful.

Josh started out with a light day of Social Studies, IT (computer), lunch, P.E. (a fun hour of rock wall climbing) and then his split block of Choir and World Music. Helmut had Choir/World Music, Spanish I, lunch, Language Arts and Math. They both agreed that they like their new school better than their old school (which I see as a good sign).

I do love the stories these boys come home with. Josh said a boy came up to him during P.E. and said, “If you are scared, you aren’t the only one. I am really afraid of heights.” Then the boy started to cry. Evidently he had a previously bad experience with a rock climbing wall falling on top of him. I may have cried myself it I was him. He did however, overcome his fear and climb to the red line on the wall. Josh informed me he climbed all the way to the top “and really quickly.”

I went and looked at a few more houses this afternoon. It is the same story here as in the States. One has a great kitchen but the rooms are kind of small. The other has big bedrooms but the kitchen needs updating and the finishing is cheap. One house is great but the location is bad, the other is in bad shape but in a great location. If only you could combine them all and make the perfect house. I have a few more to see tomorrow with high hopes for one of them. It is a single dwelling home on a good size lot in a pretty and quiet part of the neighborhood. I did find out that the asking price is more negotiable than I had previously thought which is great! I am hoping to narrow the choices down considerably and then Helmut and I will go look on Saturday and hopefully make a final decision.

Helmut is out of town in London so the rest of us topped off the night with dinner at McDonald’s. The boys are going to Activity Days with Holly from the ward. They are looking forward to getting out of the hotel.

Holly also stayed at the Leiden Holiday Inn for three weeks, so I called her to find out about the expensive laundry situation. Sadly, the answer was…she did it in the bathtub and hung it out to dry around the room. As I type, I am doing my first load of whites. Helmut thinks it is ridiculous, but has offered no other viable option. He doesn’t think they will get clean enough, but I’ll show him. Fun times of living in the hotel!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home