11.05.2006

Church is the same around the world

It is already 3:45 PM and I am not even tired yet! Yeah! Last night we all went to sleep around 8:00 PM. I woke up around midnight thinking it must be morning. Sam woke up around 2:00 AM crying that she wanted to go back to Houston. I am not sure what time I was actually able to fall back asleep, but I woke up with a start at 8:45 AM. We had 45 minutes to get dressed, eat breakfast, get the address to the church and find it. We did find it and only arrived 15 minutes late (and in the process figured out that Helmut and I would not be good partners on The Amazing Race).

There were probably 60-75 people in Sacrament Meeting. It was fast and testimony meeting and although the long grey haired no shoe wearing 60 year old man didn’t get up, no one said anything too crazy. I met a few ladies who seemed pretty normal. They had lots of information to share about finding a house and living in Holland. I am definitely feeling better about being here after talking to them. Holly (one of the ladies I met) is from Kingwood and her husband also works for Shell. She has been here for about a year and a half. She seems like a possible friend candidate.

Helmut and I already received callings. I am the new nursery leader and will move up with the kids at the end of the year to be their Sunbeam teacher…yeah for me…I am trying to be positive about it. Helmut has been called to be the Primary teacher for the kids that are 4-7. That seems like a large age span to teach a lesson to, but I am sure he will figure it out. He seems really pleased with the calling and is looking forward to being Sam’s teacher.

This afternoon we went to McDonald’s for lunch (I am embarrassed to admit that is the second time we have been there in two days). Afterwards we drove around downtown Leiden and around the school. The city center is super charming with an old windmill, lots of row shops, a canal and cobblestone streets. I can’t wait until I can go back with my camera.

Right now Helmut and I are sitting in the “Jungle Club” watching Sam play. On the weekend nights from 4-8 PM it is “manned” by a nanny to play with the kids and do little art projects. I am down here to post to my blog as I get no WIFI reception in my room…bummer. If I am slow to answer your email that is why. I am looking into getting a mobile broadband account soon. Stay tuned tomorrow for our first day at ASH!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home