3.21.2006

Set back


We have had a temporary set back. No, the abscess is fine and about 99.9% healed. This set back is far more serious. It all started yesterday afternoon. I was in the car with Sarah, Jordan, Parker and Sam when we decided to kill a few extra minutes getting Jordan’s hair cut. On a whim, I decided Sam’s hair could use a trim as well. It had been looking a little stringy lately. I showed and explained to the nice hairdresser about the large hunk of hair missing out of the back of Sam’s hair. I told her, I wasn’t quite ready to go short enough to be completely rid of the missing hunk, but could she do anything else with it (while taking off about an inch in the back). She assured me it was no problem, a few layers, good as new. Once Sam hopped out of the chair it was looking really short, but I was trying to tell myself it looked just fine. Then Sarah piped in with something about a “baby mullet.” My dream seems almost out of my grasp at this point. I know it will grow and I know it will grow on me. I was already feeling better about it today. I have included a picture so you can weigh in. Is she Billy Ray Cyrus or Sean Cassidy?

Josh is working on an autobiography for his 4th grade Language Arts class. He kept pestering me yesterday to look through his baby scrapbooks so he could find a “baby incident” to write about. I gave him the speech about how you have to write about things you know and remember yourself so you can include your own thoughts and feelings. I thought I would share with you what he wrote as remembered by his nine year old mind…
Jonah’s Reception: My Most Embarrassing Moment
“Time to go to Jonah’s reception,” yelled Mom while she was wrapping the snow-white coleslaw. We all ran down the stairs and into the kitchen. Our mom said we should be on our best behavior (if I did what I did on purpose, she would have taken away my allowance for a year). We got in the car and drove to my grandma’s house to start the reception. As a family tradition we had an ice cream man serving four flavors of ice cream: lemon, chocolate, strawberry, and my least favorite vanilla with double almonds. I watched as the black and white dressed people walked through the gate. The water in the pool was so smooth it was like glass. So when my cousins and friends arrived we went inside to have dinner. After dinner, Jonah announced that he was going to join the army. Everyone was shocked, especially my grandma. I thought she was going to cry. After the announcement, we had chocolate cake with chocolate ice cream. As everyone was leaving, we asked if we could go swimming that night. The parents said yes, so to celebrate, we had one more cup of ice cream. After all of the kids got their ice cream, we started talking. What I did not realize was, I was facing backwards to the pool. We started gradually moving towards the pool and SPLASH; I landed right in the pool. I was planning to stay down there forever, but my suit, tie, and shoes were weighing me down. I grabbed onto the ledge of the pool and pulled myself up. I went outside the gate and strained all the water out of my tie. Luckily I had more clothes to wear, since I had left my suitcase at my grandma’s house. I could change out of my soaking wet suit and into my dry clothes. After that day people that were at that wedding say, “Remember that crazy old boy who purposely jumped into the pool just to get attention,” but I say, “IT WAS NOT ON PURPOSE!” A lot of people still think I jumped in, but I did not.

Hmmm…how do you remember it happening? Do we have another James Frey on our hands or what?



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home