3.08.2006

Houston Zoo


3.8.2006
Sarah and I took Sam, Parker and Sofie to the Houston Zoo yesterday as part of our “Spring Break 2006” attempt at staying sane. I do have to say that of all the zoos I have been to in my life, the Houston Zoo ranks pretty close to the bottom. Zoos with cages and observation windows thick enough to stop a bullet (and definitely think enough to obscure any realistic view of an animal) went out with the 70’s. Every time I go, I am instantly transported back in time to 1978. I am at the Dallas Zoo feeling traumatized by the metal bars and 8-feet concrete walls the poor giraffes seemed forced to live in. It may not have actually been that bad, but it wasn’t good either.

To make matters even more “bitter,” it cost us an arm and a leg. Granted we didn’t show a lot of parental self control, but once we paid for the entrance fee, cotton candy, popcorn, peanuts, kettle corn, “save the zoo” bracelets, the train ride and a wagon rental, we were broke.

There were so many people at the zoo and it was a Tuesday afternoon! I saw some crazy outfits. Whoever designed acid-washed jean Capri pants that lace up the side ought to be shot (and certainly that said designer did not intend them to be worn to the zoo in the middle of the day coupled with a plunging blouse by a somewhat squishy mom pushing a stroller).

Big Momma took all the older kids to the Holocaust Museum. I made sure my boys read over some Holocaust FAQ to get a sense of what really happened. My biggest fear was one of my boys acting goofy or making some off color remark. Big Momma said they all did great and got lots of comments on their good behavior. She was proud of them for staying calm and collected around the naked pictures. As soon as she was out of earshot, Josh and Rebecca both said how horrible the naked pictures were and thought for sure it would give them nightmares. At least they were smart enough to save their remarks until an appropriate moment.

We wrapped up the perfect day with a picnic lunch at Hermann Park…a few homeless people and us. I have nothing against the homeless, but it is a little unnerving to a suburban mom with three small kids to keep track of.

All in all it was quite the urban experience. And the attempts at staying sane during “Spring Break 2006” continue (with some successes and many failures).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home