12.02.2006

Settling In

It has been a rough and very busy week. I had to take a break from blogging because I was exhausted every night.

We are in our house now and I am really enjoying the extra space (luckily our neighbor has an unsecured wireless network we can “borrow” until we get ours hooked up). The furniture rental place brought all the necessities of life. It is definitely not anything I would choose to buy, but it is doing the job. I will admit that the house is not as warm and cozy as I had imagined or would like it to be. It doesn’t really feel like home without our things. The rental place brought the bear minimum…somewhere to sit in the living room, just no table to set your drink on while you watch TV (oh yeah, wait a minute, we don’t have a TV). The second problem is that the Dutch have horrible lighting in their homes. Each room has one, maybe two, overhead lights with no more than a 25 watt bulb. Since it gets dark here around 4:00 PM, it makes it a very long night squinting to see across the room. I need to find some lamps to help with that. The last problem, and probably the biggest obstacle against this house reaching its maximum coziness is the thermostat. The house has radiators in each room that heat with hot water running through them. They are all controlled by a thermostat on the first floor. This thermostat has instructions on the inside cover but they are completely in Dutch. This is only a problem because the previous tenant put the thermostat on a schedule and the highest the temperature ever gets is 16-19 degrees Celsius (62-66 degrees Fahrenheit). I promise, my Christmas time guests, that I will have this problem fixed by the time you get here.

Little Helmut did make the basketball team. He is very excited and has his first tournament next Saturday in Rotterdam. We will all go down for the day and enjoy a new Holland city in between basketball games.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home