11.17.2006

T.G.I.F.

Today was our second day of “Understanding the Dutch.” It was still interesting and informative. The Dutch have some funny customs and mannerisms. A Russian woman told the story of receiving a gift from a neighbor. The gift was still in the grocery sack and when she opened it, it was a plunger! Evidentially they are really in to giving practical gifts, regardless of cost. Another weird thing is that it is very common for them to give a gift and put the receipt in with it. They are not offended if you tell them you already have it or would like something different. So crazy.

Helmut and I went to the Volvo dealership yet again to look at a 2002 V70. It is very gently used with low mileage. It is perfect because it has the double seat in the back that folds down for when we have guests or need to cart around more than our usual five people.

We put an offer down on the house on Deijlerweg today. We are willing to pay the asking price but offered just a little bit less along with a long list of things that needed to be finished, fixed our updated. Hopefully we will hear something soon. I am feeling more relaxed about the house situation because I know for sure we will be getting this house, it is now just a matter of coming to an agreement on the price. The living area is a little bit smallish and Helmut and I agreed that most of the furniture we shipped over for that room is too large. We are going to store it and buy furniture that is on a smaller more contemporary scale. I am not too upset about this because we all know I love to buy new furniture! We found some things we liked today.

Sam is doing great at school. Her teacher Jane told another mother that it is nice to have a new student who is already “school wise.” As we were picking her up today her teacher Scott (she is always sure to remind me, “not Mr. Scott just Scott”) told me he could not believe how perfect she was in class. I was proud, but at the same time told him she is definitely saving her best behavior for school.

Josh seems to be adjusting to Middle School. He is a little bogged down with homework at the moment. Dutch seems to be giving him a hard time since he missed the first nine weeks of instruction. Yesterday he was learning the Dutch way of telling time which was difficult since he missed the section on counting. We are contemplating getting him and Helmut a tutor to help get them caught up. Josh signed up to try out for the school swim team next week. The practices will be murder…three mornings a week from 6:00-7:15 AM. I hate getting up early, but I will do it for him. The final swim meet is in Norway in the spring, so that would be a fun family trip. I hope he makes it. It would be a good way for him to make more new friends.

Helmut is getting along well. He signed up to try out for the school basketball team next week. I hope he makes it because he told me he is very nervous about looking stupid. I am sure we can all remember Middle School and the constant fear of “looking stupid.”

Tomorrow we are taking our first train ride to Rijswijk to pick something up from Helmut’s office. The kids are very excited about it and I am too. Then, of course, we will be back in Wassenaar by 2:00 for the arrival of Sinterklaas. I hope to have lots of fun things to share from that. Happy Friday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home