12.06.2006

Skype

It is 6:01 AM and I have just dropped Josh off at swim practice. I had plans of coming home and catching a few more minutes of sleep, but thought better of it. Yesterday was a busy day. After I picked up Sam from school, I took her to Bubble Jungle with a large group of Moms and preschoolers. Bubble Jungle is a huge indoor play place in a building the size of Costco. She had a great time and I had fun chatting with the other Moms. I was the only Mom there with older kids and I found myself wondering why I was starting this “play date” thing all over again…been there done that. Then I realized that all the other Moms are my age, they just waited longer to start having kids. So I will continue to force myself to interact with these people despite the overwhelming deja vu feeling it gives me.

In the afternoon Josh, Sam and I went to pick up our new TV while Helmut was at basketball practice. The TV is beautiful and gets a really clear picture, but when I plugged in the cable the picture was horribly fuzzy. I was hoping my experience with Casema Cable would defy the laws of Holland nature and finish itself off without a hitch. Not so. I will have to call them today and see if I can’t communicate with them well enough to solve this problem. It still makes me feel good to see it in the living room and know that some real TV watching is in my not so distant future.

The boys had their Winter Concert at school last night. They both got up there and sang their hearts out (this coming from two boys who almost had a bloody fit when the counselor told them Choir was required for all students K-12). Josh informed me later that he didn’t mind trying hard in choir because “he was getting graded on his effort.” I suppose since everyone is required to take the class you can’t really make fun of anyone else for being in choir. They sang great and the teacher had done a great job getting them ready for the concert. The true test of Little Helmut’s singing ability will come this weekend when he signs a duet in Sacrament Meeting for our Christmas program. I am super nervous for him.

My friend Holly W. loaned me her Skype phone and I got it all hooked up and running last night. It works great and the reception was almost perfectly clear. I loved the feeling of being able to call home again without it costing a fortune (Skype is free if you are talking to someone else on their computer and 2 cents a minute if you call to a regular phone) or having to wait until Helmut was in town. Skype is my new favorite thing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home