10.05.2006

Morning can be hard...

Josh’s football game last night went great. He played some linebacker and tight end. He is really enjoying himself and seems to be learning some real football skills. I’m loving every minute of it.

That late night football game made for a very grumpy Samantha this morning. I let her sleep as late as possible, but when I woke her up to get ready for school she was beside herself. She was crying and saying she didn’t want to go to school…I just miss you the whole time I am there (sadly I could not return the sentiment)... I forced her to get dressed, wrangled her while doing her hair and lectured her about school being her full time job for the next 17+ years. All the while, she is crying and whining. Once I finished doing her hair I asked her to pick out a bow for her ponytail. She picked out a blue, white and black soccer ribbon to go with her Kelly green shirt and pink skirt…don’t you want this green one instead…no, I want the soccer ribbon, it’s my favorite (more crying and whining). I was trying to decide how to handle the situation when three words popped into my head (whether they came from my mother, a parenting magazine I read upon arrival of my first child, or Dr. Phil, I can’t remember)…chose your battles…Sure, wear the mismatched ribbon… I swear to you, it was like I turned on a light switch. She was all smiles and didn’t give me another problem all morning. I am not sure if this was a reward for good parenting skills or a sign that she needs to see a psychiatrist about her Multiple Personality Disorder, but I am going with parenting skills.

1 Comments:

Blogger Em said...

Amen sista. Pick...your...battles.
I think we all need to be reminded of that sometimes!

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home