9.28.2006

All-Nighter

Oh the woes of being a sixth grader. Compound that with a frustrated and grumpy mother and you get lots of tears and agony.

We are deep in the throws of school projects around here. Helmut has two projects due in the very imminent future. For Math he has to complete a mobile illustrating the Order of Operation, complete with a theme, workable equation and decorations. How this helps him more fully understand the Order of Operation is beyond me. This project is not due for another two weeks, so I am keeping my comments to myself (and of course sharing them with my blog readers) and getting on board with the project. Stay tuned for the best-looking “How Many Licks Does It Take to Get to the Center of a Tootsie Roll Pop” Order of Operation Mobile this teacher has ever seen. I promise to post pictures.

The second project is not going as well. Earlier this week Helmut mentioned in passing a science project in which he had to explain (in story form with illustration) the journey of a water molecule through an animal, into the soil, back to an animal, up in a cloud and ending in the ocean. No problem, right? This is where the frustrated and grumpy Mom comes into play. He didn’t really start working on it until tonight!!!! It is due tomorrow!!!! Needless to say, I have come down out of my state of hysteria and we are trying to work it out. He is working on his second rough draft (the first one did not cut the mustard) and we will complete this project tonight. I hate to introduce him to the concept of the all-nighter at such a young age, but the sooner he learns this time management lesson, the better.

Clearly, I owe my parents a big thank you (or a big apology) for a fabulous castle made completely out of sugar cubes…and the working solar panel constructed only of Styrofoam cups and trash bags…and the science quiz poster board complete with working light bulbs that lit up when you touched the right answer. Thanks Dad!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home